Friday, September 21, 2012

5 Shoes I Can't Live Without

I love shoes.  I mean I really loooove shoes.  I can try on shoes all day, and if God had not taught me to be disciplined with my money (and married me to my husband) I would buy a new pair of shoes weekly.  Daily, if I thought I could afford it.  I often say to my husband when he looks perplexed over what he sees as "another" pair of brown shoes, you can never really have all the shoes you want.  However, I do feel there are 5 essential pairs of shoes that you need.  Before you get to the list, I want to say right now, functional athletic sneakers are not going to be found on this list.  I know they are a necessity, but like flip flops, I don't really think of them as shoes in the same way I don't think of socks as clothes.  They are true necessities, so don't look for them on this list.


1. Black Heels: 

You may have heard about the LBD (little black dress) that every woman should have.  I believe in the LBH -- little black heels.  A great pair of black heels that can be worn with everything from your jeans to your favorite date night dress.  These should be heels with enough height to give you some sass, but not so high that you have to valet everywhere you go.  If you live in a part of the nation where the weather goes from hot to very cold, you may need a summer pair and a winter pair.  I live in Texas so I have one peep-toe pair that I can wear year-round.


2. Tall Boots:

I fell in love with the tall boot when I was a toddler.  My mom had these great boots she used to tuck her jeans into in the '70's that defined womanhood for me.  When I was fifteen I got my first pair of knee-high boots in black suede, and I wept. I'm not kidding.  A great pair of tall boots in black, brown, or grey (or all three) can keep you warm in a skirt, show off your legs in leggings, or class up your skinny jeans!




3. Neutral Wedge:

Now that I'm in my thirties, I find that I can't rock my painful heels with as much glee as I could in my twenties, so my appreciation for the wedge has grown tremendously.  A great wedge in a neutral tone can be the perfect shoes to take on a trip when luggage space is limited.  The right pair can go causal or dress up an outfit and will keep you from weeping as you hobble home at the end of a long work day.



4. Pop of Color:

I remember talking to one of my close friends a while back and having her tell me that all her shoes were brown, black or grey.  She didn't own a single pair of shoes in a bright color.  I realized in that moment that I had failed her as a friend.  A pop of color shoe is like a secret weapon.  Pick your favorite color be it hot pink, lipstick red, electric blue, sunny yellow, or leprechaun green ( yes I made that one up).  Don't obsess over what you have that will match them, because that is not the goal. You'll be shocked at how one pair of shoes can completely change your black dress or spice up your white button down and jeans.  I'm talking about instant style sass in a box!




5. Sparkly Heels: 

I know some of you read sparkly and cringe, but before you shut me down hear me out.  Sparkly doesn't have to be sequins and glitter.  A high sheen patent leather will do, but have at least one pair of shoes that dazzle when the light hits them.  I like to get mine in a soft color so the sparkle is what stands out.  Rock them with a great top and muted slacks or jeans.  Whip them out for your next wedding or to ring in the new year.  I like to wear them on days when I feel blue as a pick me up.  Every time I look down at my feet I smile!



There's my list.  Feel free to comment, agree, or disagree.  Then head to DSW and earn some Rewards points!

2 comments:

  1. I have a shoe thing too! Years ago when I lived in Houston it was so bad that the salesman at Marshall Field's (they had the best shoe sales) actually told me I bought too many shoes.
    I got it from my momma...she didn't have shoes growing up (she was the oldest girl of nine children) so she had a shoe thing. Now she can only wear special shoes for diabetics, which makes me sad because I really liked buying shoes for her.
    My late husband always told me not to buy ugly old lady shoes and now I always hear his voice in my head when I go shoe shopping.

    ReplyDelete