Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Best Laid Plans...

So I arrived at Allaso Ranch yesterday afternoon with a message ready. I'd been asked to speak to the students about bringing what they get at camp home. I'd been thinking about my message for a few weeks and had landed on an illustration about souvenirs and the story of Saul's conversion. I made a few tweaks around 4pm and was ready to go.

At high school camp the evening worship experience starts at 9pm. If that is your bedtime camp will mess you up, believe me. I'm a late night gal, so speaking at 9:30 doesn't phase me too much. As I stood in the back for the run through, I spoke with a couple of the trainers and pastors and learned a little about the kids in attendance. I began to feel this nudge that perhaps God was going to change my message. This is a nudge I have felt before, but it never fails to make my stomach drop a little. By the time the kids were into the second worship song, I knew my planned and practiced message had been tabled. God whispered some new scripture in my ear, and I took a deep breath as I quickly pulled them up on my iPhone and copied them into a note.


I had one more song to pray and talk to God about where He was taking me now and then my name was being called. I will tell you that this does not happen all the time. I will also tell you that it is the most disarming way to step in front of a group as a speaker. However, there is also a peace that comes over me in these moments. I am never more aware that the words are not mine, but God's. I am completely submitted to Him in these moments. I have to be or else I would hyperventilate myself into a panic attack.

I want to carry this feeling over to the other areas of my life where I struggle to submit: in my work, my marriage, my friendships. Surrender is such a key aspect of being a Christian, yet it can be one of the hardest things to do. If I can just remember that each day is just like last night. I may have plans, but God's plans trump mine, and He is ready to put His plans into play over mine at any moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment