Wednesday, June 6, 2012

To Procrastinate or Not?... I'll Answer Later.

"Why put off 'til tomorrow what you can do today?"  I have answered that question many times over the years in many ways with all the good and bad excuses I could come up with.  I don't think I'm an extreme procrastinator, but I do think we all procrastinate to some extent.  We all come up with a reason to not mop the floor, do the laundry, or finish writing that paper when we don't want to do it.  Sometimes the reason we procrastinate really is important.  A parent putting off the housework to play with their kids, a spouse setting aside work to enjoy date night, or a friend choosing to be a listening ear instead of finishing the to-do list are all examples of what I call good procrastination, or even better prioritizing.  And then there are the less great causes that lead us to procrastinate.  Skipping out on my household chores to watch a marathon of a reality show on Bravo or postponing writing my next post to shop for shoes are not exactly stellar excuses.   Insert your guilty pleasure above and you'll know that you too have made the not so great choice to put off something you needed to do for something you just wanted to do in the moment.  In most cases procrastination is relatively harmless, although it may cause laster inconveniences.  However I was reminded this Sunday of how it can be detrimental. 

My husband and I had the pleasure of visiting Lake Hills Church in Austin, TX while enjoying a weekend with family.  Lake Hills is led by Pastor Mac Richard whom I know from his very close relationship to my own pastor, so we knew we were in for a great message in a church that felt like a home away from home.  In my typical fashion I was taking notes in my journal (I've gone back to writing my notes by hand instead of typing into my phone.  I can still write faster than I can thumb-type) when in the middle of what was a very funny anecdote from Pastor Mac, I heard talking behind me.  Just as I was about to become annoyed at the distraction, I heard one of the voices call for someone to call 911.  At this point the service came to a halt as everyone realized we were in the middle of a medical emergency.  The amazing staff and volunteers of Lake Hills quickly took control of the situation and moved the gentleman in trouble out into the hallway to receive aid, while Pastor Mac led us in prayer and stayed poised as he segued us back into the message.  

My first reaction to all of this in my head was to marvel at the grace under pressure that Pastor Mac displayed as he navigated through an adrenaline inducing moment and managed to get back to his message.  As a speaker I know how a small distraction can throw off your rhythm. Yes, we can see you taking a nap, talking to your friend, and getting up to go to the bathroom when we are up there. This, however, had been no small distraction, but a full on crisis and Pastor Mac handled it compassionately and articulately. He took the opportunity to remind us how important it is that we prioritize the things that really matter in life.   Thankfully, we learned before leaving the service that the gentleman was in stable condition, but I could not help but think about how fragile life is.  Even as we go into church on a Sunday morning singing to God about this life on earth being temporary and our eternity being with Him in heaven, none of us walk in really believing that we could be taking our last breaths.  Yet,  every day that we live is a gift, and we have no idea how many more days we have left.  How differently would we live our lives if we thought about that more? What would we choose to prioritize and what would we put off? 

Today, I find myself evaluating my to do list with a different perspective.  What will I do today that will have a lasting impact?  It may be big or small, but each day I want to prioritize the things that matter, the things of God and not allow myself to procrastinate doing His work.  Whether spending time in prayer for a friend, studying another part of the Bible,  inviting someone to church, or helping someone in need, I don't want a day to go by without knowing that I have done something in Christ's name.  If I make these things a priority, then I won't have to worry about wasted days or regrettable procrastinations.  It really means using the old saying, but changing it a bit.  "Why put off 'til tomorrow, what you can do for Christ today?"  There are no excusable answers, to that question.  

No comments:

Post a Comment