Thursday, June 28, 2012

My "Friend" Ann Curry

So, you know how some people are slightly crazy and believe that if they ever met a particular celebrity in real life they would be great friends and hang out?  Yeah, I'm one of those people..., and for years now I have thought that about Ann Curry.  I've been a daily viewer of the Today Show catching at least the first hour every morning and getting all the news I needed, along with some great stories and tips.  I've never wandered over to any of the other morning shows, as I'm a loyal gal and the Today Show had my loyalty.  Over the years I've become attached to various reporters on the show, but in particular I've been a great fan of Ann Curry, and, in my head at least, thought of her as a good friend.


When the rumors started surfacing that she was on her way out, I hoped they would pan out to be just that,  rumors, but to my dismay, late last night my faithful app alerted me to the fact that Ann really is leaving and her last show will be today.  I felt as though I'd just heard my friend was moving away.  I have had coffee with Ann (boy, I sure miss coffee), breakfast with Ann, brushed my teeth with Ann, applied mascara with Ann, twisted my hair with Ann, packed my hubby's lunch with Ann, cleaned with Ann, and caught up on work emails with Ann to just name a few things.  I have also come to respect and admire Ann Curry for her great journalistic skill, savvy interviews, heartwarming compassion, easy laugh, and fantastic sense of style (have you checked out this woman's shoes!?!).  It is no wonder that I will miss her presence on the show.   


Yes, she'll go on to do many great things, and I will likely be tuned in for all of them, but, today, I will tune into the Today Show with a sad heart as I have my last morning with my "friend".  There are not a lot of women on television who I think of as having great class.  In fact, many of the women on television today seem to prefer crass to class.  Ann is a class act through and through.  She is woman who works hard, cares deeply, and strives for excellence in her work, and her exit will be a great loss not just to the Today Show, but to the millions of viewers that have benefited from her presence each morning. Thanks, Ann for bringing us your grace and poise for so many years.  You will be missed, at least by me..., your "good friend", Janay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment