Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Waiting Room Suggestions

I've spent a lot of time in waiting rooms lately. I know them well. Some go for the modern look while others are more elegant classic. Some have kids table while others are clearly for grown folks only. All seem to be linked to the same obnoxious awful elevator music station that plays horrible keyboard arrangements of Celine Dion hits and jazz tunes I've never heard in any jazz club. A few will supplement the bad music with a muted, closed caption flat screen viewing of CNN or Fox News. And then of course there is the standard basket of outdated magazines covering sports, cars, fashion, parenting, and Hollywood gossip but only as current as last month. 
Knowing what I'm facing, I try to remember to go in armed with a book of my own choosing so that I don't feel compelled to read about the "latest" Kardashian drama or who will go first in the NFL draft (yes I know it is over, but the old magazines don't).  I am tempted to pull out my headphones and save my ears from the auditory invasion that calls itself easy listening, but it feels rude, and I'm worried I might miss my name when it is finally mis-pronounced  to the room at large. I mean I have to be ready to respond to Janet Wilburn as well.   Finding a corner away from the television is usually not too difficult except when they don't have it muted, in which case I'm just stuck hearing the same news I already heard this morning repeated several more times.
If I could change the slightly less important things of this world, I would start with waiting rooms. The magazines would all be from this month/ week only and I would have more than three types available.  The music would be actual music.  You know, the music people buy and listen to at home and there would be a jukebox wall where each person waiting could pick one song to play while they wait.  I would eliminate TVs altogether from waiting rooms.  I mean my husband and I only agree on a handful of shows and we are in a lifelong committed relationship.  There is no way a rotating group of strangers can find one show to watch outside of the Royal wedding and the Olympics (summer not winter).
Now the best solution of all would be to cut back on the waiting time altogether, but alas that seems unattainable. So for now I shall bravely face my waiting room time, book in hand, with a seat far from all speakers, and a smile on my face. There are far worse things happening in the world..., and I did use today's time writing this, so there's the bright side.

3 comments:

  1. Doc's office has a large flat screen-that is NOT visible to the staff- playing the Food Network to a room full of people waiting for fasting blood work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently I need to borrow you as a consultant sometime in the near future :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Consider me hired. I have lots of ideas!

    ReplyDelete