Thursday, May 10, 2012

Facing This Mother's Day

As this Mother's Day approaches I find it hard to pin down my emotions.  I have the greatest mother on the planet, so I have always loved celebrating her.  Frankly, with a kid like me she should get two holidays a year, not one.  I was not an easy one to raise, and yet she did it with grace, love, and discipline.  In my admiration for my mom, I always knew one way I wanted to emulate her. I looked forward to the day that I would get to be the kind of mom to my own children, that my mom had been to me. When I was recovering from my abortion years ago, I grieved the child I was too foolish to keep, but had great hopes for the ones yet to come.  I still look forward to that day, but it has been delayed.  In the past six months I have miscarried two children and instead of this being my "mom-to-be" Mother's Day, it will be a day of hope and gratitude mixed with grief and sorrow.  I know that I will not be able to help thinking of the children that I've lost this Mother's Day, the ones I will never hold and will never hear call me "Mommy".  At the same time, I believe that I will someday hold other children who will call me "Mommy" and "Mama" and "Mom" and "Mother!" in all the tones that those words are delivered, good and bad.  As I count down to this Sunday, I can't help but think of the other mothers out there like me.  Others have made the horrible decision of terminating their children and now live with the grief and regret that comes in the aftermath.  Others have lost children who were never born and feel the emptiness of their arms deeply.  Other still, like my own mother, have lost children that they knew and named, dressed and bathed, played with and talked to.  Those mothers have pictures and toys and songs that still hold the memories of those children they have outlived.  We may arrive at this day from different causes but we are unified on this day by our sorrow.  My prayer is that we will also be unified in our hope. 

I don't doubt I and many of you will shed a few tears this Sunday.  To be honest, I already have shed a few this week just thinking about the day to come, but I know that some of the tears I shed will be tears of joy.  I am so thankful that our God also grieved the loss of a child, His Son.  He knows our exact pain and sorrow.  He felt our loss to a greater extent than we have felt it, and He did so willingly.  "For God so loved the world, He gave His one and only Son, so that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life."  This verse from John 3:16 is so often quoted, but this Mother's Day it has new meaning for me.  Not only has God felt my pain, but He chose to feel it to save us all!  He allowed His perfect, flawless Child to die, so His imperfect, sinful children could live!  I am more thankful for that now than I have ever been.  I am thankful that I serve a God who has a capacity for love that far exceeds my ability to understand it or receive it. I'm thankful that Jesus Christ so willingly walked this earth so that I could have a perfect model for how to live my life.  Every sacrifice He made, was made for God's glory, even when those around Him did not get it.  

So this Mother's Day, I am praying for the strength that comes from my Savior. I'm praying for the strength to serve for His glory even if those around me don't get it, to serve for His glory even when I don't get it.   I am praying for all of the other mothers out there who know Jesus Christ to be comforted by the knowledge that our God truly understands, and if we live our lives for His glory, our losses are not in vain.  This Sunday we can be more than mothers who have lost our children, we can be daughters of the King who live on for His glory.  To live with hope is to glorify God, so know that your hope has not died with your children. Your hope lives in Jesus Christ who is eternal.  Trust in Him.  Hope.  Be joyful.  In all of these things, you will bring glory to God!

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.  Romans 15:13

18 comments:

  1. Well said dear lady. My Mother passed away too soon and this Mother's Day while sad because I miss her so much, will be mixed with lots of joy because I know she is with our Father. Thank you so much for your encouraging words that will give wings to my joy and diminish my sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big prayers to you and all the mothers who have and are still grieving. Mothers have not lost their children, but have gained an angel eternally living in their Father's house where they await for your arrival!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for that! I too miscarried a child years ago. I now have two children, one boy & one girl. They are five & four. After having them & watching them grow, I couldn't imagine losing them! I often wonder what the baby that I would have had would have been like, but I know that he is in a place far greater than what this world has to offer & I know that I have a sweet child waiting for me & his family next to our Father in Heaven! I imagine the child to understand more than I could ever grow to know while here on this earth & I am honored to know that I have a child with our amazing savior! Remember you are still the mother of those children! They have been excepted into the highest place & are being treated with royalty by the most high King everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Janay! I loved hearing you at FlavConf & you are you!

      Delete
  4. It's a verse that I've known since I was so small but I don't think I've ever read that way. "His one and only son." Jesus was His only son. The only one that would ever be called Son and God sacrificed Him for us. I lost a baby 7 years ago and I still think about my lost one even while watching my three run around. I can't imagine not just losing but actually making the decision to give up my one and only child. It puts God's gift to me in new words and feelings. Thank you.

    I'm praying over you as well. God knows the desires of our heart and wants more than anything to fulfill our dreams. I'm proud of you for candidly telling others about your pain, admitting your tears and showing that turning to God during that time is what helps you most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Janay. I couldn't love your heart more. I couldn't be more thankful to call you a friend. I couldn't be more blessed by your post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful, Janay! Kharla S. sent me your link this morning. I'm so glad she did! I sent you a Facebook message.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the bravery, honesty and compassion that fills this post. I grieve alongside you for babies lost and babies hoped for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your heart Janay. I am posting a link to your blog on our Freed facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janice Bishop LeMelleMay 10, 2012 at 7:02 PM

    Janay, I am proud of you for allowing yourself to be used in such a vulnerable way. It is in the crushing that the oil is enabled to flow. Your transparency will bless many. Thank you for your obedience to the Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love you and will be with you this Mother's Day. Thank you for reminding me never to take any moment for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful, heartfelt post. Many prayers your way, Janay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for posting this 2 years ago. Someone on FB directed me to your blog. I , too, am having a very hard time this week. I recently miscarried and I have shed so any tears today as I think about the children I lost. Reading this post has brought me comfort by reminding me that GOD doesn't make mistakes. I must trust him through the pain. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry for your loss and current grief. I'm praying for God to to fill you with hope along with that comfort. You can trust Him and He will turn your sorrow into joy again.

      Delete