Monday, March 4, 2013

Just Janky

So, I like to use the word "janky"!  I've used it for years and, occasionally, I forget myself and use it when I'm speaking.  When this happens, I realize it is a slang term that may not be widely known so I have to pause and explain it to my audience, not because I'm worried they won't get what I'm saying, but because I don't want them to go out there and use it incorrectly.  That is the worst.  So I decided it was worth a blog post to explain the word.  

janky: (jan'-kee) low quality; messed up 

Some examples? 

"All I know is when I put on that polka dot top with those paisley pants, I looked janky!"

"I knew this cake would taste good, but it looked so janky when the top layer fell apart,  I had to just eat it myself." 

"The reason no one wants to hear her talk about Christ is because her attitude is so janky!"

Now, that last statement is not just to help you know how to use the word, but to remind you of how your attitude and behavior can misrepresent Christ!  I spoke to a fabulous group of women this weekend at Fellowship Orlando about the danger of Christians walking around being rude, judgmental, superior, and antagonistic, making our Savior look bad.  There is absolutely nothing unattractive about Jesus, so when people find our faith unattractive it is because of something we are doing.  I understand that we all have bad days and a janky attitude can sneak up on the best of us. I've certainly had one from time to time.  However, we don't have the luxury of taking a day off from being the salt of the earth, the light of the world. 

“You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot. You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others,that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."  Matthew 5:13-15

God is counting on us to be His representatives to the lost people of the world. Lost people are watching you all the time.  Whether you are at home, work, school, the mall, or the gym.  People are watching you who know you are a Christ-follower, and what you do and say will either draw them to Christ or turn them away from Christ for another day.  I'm not saying every time you correctly represent Christ in the world someone is going to accept him in that moment, but I do know that you are either moving them another step closer to the Lord, or driving them a little farther away. Each day we have to choose our attitude.  Sometimes each minute of each day.  We have to choose to selflessly put aside our own feelings or frustrations and represent our God to the best of our ability. What does that look like?  I think the best description of a "non-janky", Christ-like demeanor is found in Galations 5:22-23,

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law."

If your behavior can be described by any of these words, then you are safe from being described as just janky!

No comments:

Post a Comment