Friday, March 29, 2013

A Really Good Friday

What a difference a year makes.  Last year on Good Friday morning I was having a D&C after my second miscarriage.  I was heartbroken and grieving, but at the same time I was thankful for the foundation in my life, the Savior that died for me on this day over 2000 years ago.  When I woke up from the procedure, the first question I asked my doctor was if I could go to church and sing with the choir that night.  I woke up knowing that I had so much to be thankful for in spite of the pain and grief I was feeling.  I woke up determined to live out the words that I read so often in Job 1:21,

"I came naked from my mother's womb, and I will be naked when I leave. The Lord gave me what I had, and the Lord has taken it away.  Praise the name of the Lord!"

It didn't matter what my current pain was because in my heart I knew it was temporary, just as this life on earth is.  The greater joy in my life is my eternity.  The forever that I get to spend with Christ when I leave this world is enough reason to praise God no matter  my circumstances.  That joy, that hope that I possess is something I want to share with others who don't yet know it.   As I enter into this Easter weekend, I'll continue to invite as many people as I can to the Good Friday and Easter Sunday worship experiences at my church, because I know there are people who will hear the Gospel this weekend and become a part of the family of God through Christ. 

This Good Friday, I woke up not just to the incredible joy of my salvation, but the extra bonus gift I've received.  My child kicking in my womb.  I'm 100 days from my due date and beyond thankful that God has chosen to bless me in this way.  This current happiness is the overflow I believe David was referring to when he said, "My cup overflows with blessings." 

Whatever your circumstances may be this Friday, I encourage you to praise the name of the Lord.  Remember that your joy is based on your Savior and not on your situation.  If this year finds you at a low point, know that it is temporary.  If this year finds you at a high point, rejoice in the abundant blessings.  Don't let your faith and your joy be swayed by your right now.  Base your faith and your joy on your forever, Jesus Christ.  Share that faith and joy with others this weekend and every day of your life on this earth so they too can know the joy of a loving Savior!

No comments:

Post a Comment