Saturday, May 9, 2015

It's What Moms Do

As this Mother's Day drew near, I began to reflect on the wisdom I have gathered from the women in my life who are mothers, and I realized much of the wisdom I've gleaned from then has been observed, not spoken. We've all heard the saying, "actions speak louder than words."  The blessing of having so many fantastic moms in my life has been the opportunity to simply "listen" to their actions and take mental notes of the lessons they are teaching through living.  On this Mother's Day, I want to acknowledge them as I share what I have learned with you:

From my Mom I learned...that being a good mom means modeling Christ especially behind closed doors where only your kids might see you. 

From my Grandmother I learned...to express love to my children as often as I can and be their biggest cheerleader. 

From my Godmother, Emma I learned...to be sure my children know they have a place of safety with me. 

From my Mother-in-Love, Constance I learned...mothers make sacrifices for their kids without hesitation or regret. 

From Regina J. I learned...however exhausting it may be, consistency with my kids pays off in the long run and is a big part of loving them.  

From Kim B. I learned...you can love however many children God blesses you to have uniquely and fully! 

From Tania Q. I learned...to enjoy all the moments with my living children while remembering  my children in heaven.

From Lulie T. I learned...no past sin can negate my God-given ability to be a loving mother.

From Leslie A. I learned...to be the best mom I can be, I must be the best me I can be.

From Yanci Y. I learned...not to be afraid to let my kids get dirty, play hard, or fall down. 

From Lisa Y. I learned...to teach my kids to love God's house. 

From Patricia L. I learned...to teach my kids to celebrate their heritage while preparing them for a future of possibilities. 

From Julie R. I learned...to take parenting seriously but not take myself too seriously. 

From Ronique W. I learned...to cherish every second with kids, the good and the difficult. 

From Christie B. I learned...to give my kids every opportunity I can to discover their own creativity. 

From Marianne C. I learned...a listening ear and sincere hug are priceless. 

From Carissa B. I learned...if I use the gifts and talents God has blessed me with as I parent, my children will discover and use their own gifts and talents. 

From Liz S. I learned...if I enjoy my children at every age and stage, they will enjoy me in return. 

From Tianne M. I learned...to make the most of every moment you may have with your kids. God multiplies the impact of mama minutes. 

From Sarah H. I learned...your kids are capable of a lot more than most will give them credit for, so challenge them! 

From Bonnie L. I learned...to instill discipline AND fun in your daily lives! 

From Andrea T. I learned...staying calm and embracing the joy of motherhood makes it all easier! 

From Cindy T. I learned...you can raise your kids to be strong and independent, and still hold them in your heart as your babies.  

I get to come into contact with lots of mamas and observe their interactions with their own children. I pick up knowledge from what they don't say as much as from what they say. It is inspiring and uplifting. It is also a reminder of how much more actions matter than words. 
  
Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18

I'm left wondering what others see in me as a mother. What am I modeling, not just for my kids, but for other moms and moms-to-be when they watch me parent? I hope I'm showing that God is the source of my strength as a mom, that the Bible is my guidebook as I parent, and that a relationship with Christ is my ultimate goal for my children. I hope I'm demonstrating patience, love, kindness, joy, compassion, and discipline in my mothering. I hope as the years pass, other moms can be encouraged and inspired by me as I am encouraged and inspired by these moms. Thank you and Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there teaching me every day! 


No comments:

Post a Comment