Monday, April 9, 2012

Psalm 100

Recently my pastor, Ed Young did a message series called "That Thing We Do" that was about living a lifestyle of worship.  I found myself sitting up eagerly in my seat on that first Sunday morning of the series when he began referencing Psalm 100.  You see, I have a long history with that particular chapter of the Bible that all starts with a 5x7 bubblegum scented, scratch-n-sniff sticker.  Not the start you expected? Well, let me give you the story.


At the age of five my parents enrolled me at Cathedral in the Pines Christian School for kindergarten where I immediately fell in love with my teacher, Mrs. Larson.  One day she issued a challenge to our class: the first student to memorize ALL of Psalm 100 would win an oversized, scratch-n-sniff sticker.  The joyous thing about being five years old is that a sticker is already a big prize.  An OVERSIZED, SCRATCH-N-STIFF sticker was like winning the mega millions lottery.  I should also mention, that I can be a tad bit competitive (No need to snicker, fam).  Needless to say, I went home determined to win.  I told my mom the mission, and being a Christian woman and a teacher, she was thrilled to help me with my assignment.  Now my memory may be off a bit, but I'm pretty sure I memorized it in one or two nights. I can definitely say that the day I raised my hand in class to announce I was ready to  recite Psalm 100, my fellow classmates were shocked.   I stood before the class and spoke from memory and got it right the first time.  My prize was placed in the most logical place I could think of, the inside cover of my Bible.  I spent many  a Sunday morning sniffing that Bible.


I never forgot the verses and to this day can recite it from memory, King James Version at that.  However it was twenty years before I gave my life to Christ, twenty years before I began to understand what the words meant.  In the years since I became a Christ-Follower, the words have taken on new nuances and meaning each time I have read them. They have served as a reminder to be thankful, joyous, and ever conscious of my place in God's economy.  However, in these recent weeks, the words that I know so well have been both convicting and encouraging.  Going through a very difficult personal season, the verses and Pastor Ed's messages have made me remember that no matter how bad things may seem to be in my life, I always have reason to be thankful, to praise God, to share that joy with others and that with all that God has done for me, I may have seasons of grief or sadness, but I never had cause to despair or lose hope.  I had allowed my grief to overshadow my joy and cause to me to forget to hope, but, as always, God's words to me pulled me out of that place.


You may have heard someone recommend scripture memorization and thought, "I can't do that" or "why bother when I can just go read it", but let me tell you it is worth it.  When you are driving down the highway or in a meeting at work or in an argument with your spouse and you can bring to your mind God's word to help you remember what is true and not just focus on what you feel, there is NO substitute.  Think about what you struggle with regularly; think about your areas of weakness, and find verses that will encourage you when you face those situations.  If you don't know where to start, allow me to recommend this one:
 

Psalm 100

A psalm. For giving grateful praise.
 1 Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.
 2 Worship the LORD with gladness;
   come before him with joyful songs.
3 Know that the LORD is God.
   It is he who made us, and we are his[a];
   we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.
 4 Enter his gates with thanksgiving
   and his courts with praise;
   give thanks to him and praise his name.
5 For the LORD is good and his love endures forever;
   his faithfulness continues through all generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment